Culebra Peak offers a unique climbing experience. Unlike any other Fourteener in Colorado, hiking impacts are largely absent – Culebra is essentially “untrailed”. In order to preserve its pristine condition, please follow these climbing guidelines and Procedures:
- Ascend and descend on a different route in order to minimize impacts to the mountain.
- Disperse while hiking. In order to protect sensitive alpine plant communities, avoid hiking single file or along existing trampled routes.
- While hiking, try to step only on durable surfaces, such as rocks, in order to protect sensitive alpine plant communities. Don’t walk along the edge of melting snowfields or other areas where the soils are wet. Many alpine soils are over 5,000 years old, and alpine plants grow very slowly in the harsh climate and short growing season on Fourteeners.
- Refrain from feeding animals or picking wildflowers. Leave what you find.
- Bury all human waste below treeline, not in the tundra. Pack out all the material that you carry in. Refer to the “Guide for Leaving No Trace on Colorado’s Highest Peak” for additional information.
SUMMER CLIMBS WILL BEGIN ON JUNE 17, 2016. RESERVATIONS WILL BEGIN TO BE TAKEN AS SOON AS WE CAN GET, AND KEEP, THIS SYSTEM UP AND RUNNING. WE TRY TO GET THINGS GOING BY MAY 1. THIS YEAR WE HAVE HAD SOME COMPUTER ISSUES, AND THS SITE IS ONCE AGAIN NOW UP AND RUNNING. PLEASE NOTE THAT SNOW CONDITIONS HAVE PERSISTED HERE MUCH LONGER THAN NORMAL, AND THE EARLIER JUNE CLIMBS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THEY MAY BE CANCELLED OR RESCHEDULED. THANKS
Attached please find a liability waiver form to be used for your upcoming climb. Please note that you must sign out no later than 6:00 pm. If all climbers have not signed out by 6:00 pm, Cielo Vista Ranch will consider the situation an emergency and will begin emergency procedures. Any climber that fails to sign out when leaving the Ranch or leaves the Ranch after 6:00 pm agrees to make a $100.00 contribution to The Costilla County Search & Rescue. If anyone is under 18 years of age we will require a “Minor” Liability Waiver form which will be provided upon notification.
Also please note that the waiver provides space for you to declare your intentions for climbing, whether that is Culebra only or Culebra and Red Mountain. You must make this decision prior to your arrival at the Ranch. You will still turn in your waiver at check in and pay your fee. The Fee for Culebra and/or Red Mountain will be $150.
Please note that no dogs and no non-climbers are allowed on the Ranch and that the road to the Culebra trail head requires 4wd.
Check in for this climb will be 6:00 AM at the North Headquarters gate to the ranch. At 6:15, the gate will be locked, and if a climber is not there at that time, he forfeits his spot for the climb.
1. IF WE CANCEL: Option: 1. reschedule.
2. If reschedule is not possible, then refund.
IF CLIMBER CANCELS: 1. before 3 days> We will reschedule
2. w/i 3 days, no refund, unless there are exigent circumstances.
We appreciate your cooperation and hope you have an enjoyable and safe time on Cielo Vista Ranch.
FOR WINTER CLIMBS – Due to the inherent dangers of a winter climb, we reserve the right to cancel access to Culebra and/or Red Mountain at any time including day of climb!